Current and Past Students
Current and prospective students working with Chris, with research topics are listed below
(all are in the School of Geography & Development unless otherwise specified). Chris is also affiliated faculty and can chair student committees in Arid Lands Resource Sciences, and co-chair in the Dept. of Hydrology & Water Resources; Dept. of Soil, School of Natural Resources & Environment; and Latin American Studies.
2010 - Lily House-Peters (prospective advisee, PhD candidate, SGD)
2009 - Andrea Prichard (MA candidate, SGD)
2009 - Tabitha Spence (MA candidate, SGD)
2008 - Kathryn Daily (MA candidate, SGD)
2008 - Zachary Sugg (MA in 2010, SGD)
2008 - Kerri Jean Ormerod (MA in 2010, SGD)
• 2009 grant from Institute of Environment, Univ. Arizona to attend and present a paper at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Las Vegas, Nevada, 22-27 March 2009.
• 2008 Margaret Trussell Scholarship by the Association of Pacific Coast Geographers Women’s Network ($1000 to explore the social issues in water reuse planning and management within the context of urban growth).
• grants from Institute for Study of Planet Earth and Graduate Student Council, Univ. Arizona to attend and present a paper at the workshop “Waste - The Social Context ‘08”, Edmonton, Canada, 11-15 May 2008.
• summer 2008 graduate research assistant grant from Water Sustainability Program, Univ. Arizona.
2007 - Eve Halper (PhD candidate, SGD)
• successfully holds a job at the US Bureau of Reclamation while completing her dissertation.
2007 - Joseph Hoover (MA 2009, SGD)
• grant from forum organizers to attend and present a paper at the Border Energy Forum XV, Monterrey, Mexico, 23-24 October 2008
• grant from Association of American Geographers, Water Resources Specialty Group to attend and present paper at annual meeting, Las Vegas, 22-27 March 2009
Committee membership of current and past students with thesis/ dissertation topic and name of chair
(School of Geography & Development unless otherwise specified; HWR = Dept. Hydrology & Water Resources; SWES = Dept. of Soil, Water, and Environmental Science):
2010 - Evan Dick (MA, SGD) Local sanitation options and dry-composting toilets - S. Moore, chair
2009 - Stephen Amesbury (PhD candidate, Arid Lands Resource Sciences) – S. Yool, chair.
2008. Tobias Finke (MA, GRD) “Object-Oriented Classification to Map Impervious Surfaces for Hydrologic Models” – S. Yool and S. Moran, co-chairs.
2008. Derejeh Gultineh (MA, GRD) “Coalitions and Consensus Building in Portland, Oregon”
2008 - 2008 - Jennifer Bloxom (MA, Center for Latin American Studies) – S. Whiteford, chair.
2008 - Lissette De La Cruz (PhD candidate, HWR) – T. Meixner, chair.
2007 - Robin Lewis (PhD candidate, SGD) – P. Robbins, chair.
2007 - Jeff M. Banister (PhD, SGD) – S. Marston, chair.
2007 - Rolando Díaz Caravantes (PhD, SGD) – M. Wilder, chair.
2007. George Saliba (MA, GRD) “Science, Collaboration, and Sustainability in the Upper San Pedro Basin” – K. Jacobs and K. Bailey, co-chairs.
Past Students/Supervisees and Accomplishments
(IWMI = International Water Management Institute)
2004-05 Mattia Celio (doctoral field research, IWMI-India) – PhD candidate, Water, Engineering, and Development Centre, Loughborough University, UK
2003-05 Trent W. Biggs (Postdoc, IWMI-India) – Since 2007 Asst. Professor of Geography, San Diego State University, California
2003-04 Shirish Sinha (Doctoral write-up, IWMI-India) – 2007 PhD from Twente University, Netherlands, currently Energy-Water Program Manager, WWF India, New Delhi.
2002-05 Jetske Bouma (doctoral field research, IWMI-India) – 2007 PhD in Resource Economics, University of Tilburg, Netherlands
2002-05 Jeroen Ensink (doctoral field research, IWMI-India) – 2007 PhD in Public Health, London School of Tropical Hygiene and Medicine, London, UK
2002 Carolyn Gerwe (Postdoc, IWMI-India) – 2003-05 Public Policy Fellow, American Association for Advancement of Science, Washington, DC
2000 Martin Bolaños, M.S. in Water Management, Colegio de Postgraduados, Mexico
1998 Francisco Flores, M.S. in Water Management, Colegio de Postgraduados, Mexico; subsequently PhD from Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
1997-2000 Philippus Wester (graduate field research, IWMI-Mexico) – currently PhD (2008) and Assistant Professor (2000-present), Wageningen University, Netherlands